Trump lawyers detail document hunt in contempt fight
Donald Trump’s legal team wants to overturn a contempt ruling and $10,000-a-day fine against the former president over a subpoena for documents related to a New York civil investigation into his business dealings
A new 66-page court filing dated Friday outlines efforts by Trump’s lawyers to produce documents requested by the office of New York Attorney General Letitia James, who is investigating whether Trump may have misstated the value of ‘assets such as skyscrapers and golf courses on financial statements for more than a decade.
Trump has called the investigation a political witch hunt and recently called James, who is black, “racist” and said the courts were “biased, inflexible and grossly unfair”.
Last week, a New York appeals judge denied his request to have the fine suspended while Trump appeals the decision.
In the recent court filing, Trump attorney Alina Habba said the responses to the subpoena were complete and correct and that no relevant documents or information were withheld.
Habba conducted searches of Trump’s offices and private quarters at his golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey, and his residence in Mar-a-Lago, Florida, according to the filing, but found no relevant documents. which had not already been produced. The filing also detailed searches of other locations, including filing cabinets and storage areas at Trump Organization offices in New York.
In a separate sworn affidavit included in the filing, Trump said there were no relevant documents that had not already been produced.
He added that he owned two cellphones: an iPhone for personal use which he submitted in March to be searched as part of the subpoena and then resubmitted in May; plus a second phone he recently received which is only used to post on Truth Social, the social media network he started after he was banned from Twitter, Facebook and other platforms.
In a previous court ruling, Habba called the decision a contempt and the fine “unacceptable and indefensible.”