crews fight fire from hunting cabin in Leeds | Greene County

LEEDS – Several Greene County fire companies were at the scene of a fire that broke out at a hunting cabin in Leeds on Sunday afternoon, fire officials said on Monday.

The structure suffered extensive damage, Freehold Fire Chief Jim DiPerna said on Monday.

The fire started in a large shed that is attached to the cabin and houses a wood-burning stove, DiPerna said.

The cabin occupants left the building with a burning fire in the woodstove, DiPerna said. They were not at home when the fire broke out.

At approximately 2:27 p.m., the Freehold Fire Company was sent by Greene County to 911 at 3966 Schoharie Turnpike, after a caller reported that the building was on fire.

The cabin was located on a private road off the Schoharie Turnpike.

When the first firefighters arrived, they reported that the structure was on fire and asked for mutual aid from neighboring firefighters.

The teams got to work to extinguish the fire. Firefighters reported that the fire was extinguished after about an hour.

There was fire damage to the 300 square foot cabin with smoke and water damage all over it, DiPerna said.

Central Hudson Gas and Electric was called to the scene.

The Greene County Fire Investigation Team determined that the fire started in a pipe of the woodstove before spreading.

The fire companies that helped Freehold were Greenville and Earlton.

Greenville paramedics and Greene County paramedics also attended the scene.

All firefighters resumed service at 4:30 p.m.

As an Amazon Associate, I earn Qualifying Purchases.

Comments are closed.